Pre Engineered Buildings (PEB) are the buildings which are engineered at a factory and assembled at site. Usually PEBs are steel structures. Built-up sections are fabricated at the factory to exact size, transported to site and assembled at site with bolted connections. This type of Structural Concept is generally used to build Industrial Buildings, Metro Stations and warehouses etc.
Components of PEB:
Pre-Engineered Buildings consist of different steel structural member which are as follows,
- Primary Frame: Primary framing of a PEB is an assembly of built-up I-Shaped steel members & that framing consist trusses or castellated beams etc.
- Secondary Structural Elements: It is actually Cold Formed Members, which can be in diff. shapes like “Z”, “C” etc. In general known as “Purlins”.
- Roof & Wall Panels: Tin shades & Curtain Wall made of Glass & Roll-formed steel sheets usually comes in this category , Standing seams
- Sandwich Panels: Sandwich Panel is made of three layers, in which a non-Aluminum Core is inserted b/w two aluminum sheet.
- Other Accessories: Mezzanine floors, Bolts, Insulation, etc.
Advantages of PEB:
- Quality control is the main advantage as all the structural member are engineered beforehand, standards of different codes also taken into consideration & these components are made in factory under the supervision of Quality Control Engineer.
- Lower cost due to the saving in design, manufacturing and on site erection cost.
- Minimizing time of construction due to the use of software for design of the structural components.
- Low Maintenance due to use of standard quality of paints over steel members , which increases the ability to withstand & finally the maintenance cost will be low as compare to conventional steel building.
- Quick Erection, as all the members are Pre Manufactured & skilled labor is used for connections of different components.
- Warranty on PEB, mostly warranty period of 20 years given by manufactures for PEB.